Arsene Wenger today finalised a new two year contract extension to his current deal which has just expired, as announced on Arsenal.com earlier today. There has been months of speculation as to whether this season would be Wenger’s last, but following a successful FA Cup campaign, he has put pen to paper on a deal which will keep him at The Emirates until 2019, at the very least.
Owner, Stan Kroenke said:
“Our ambition is to win the Premier League and other major trophies in Europe. It’s what the fans, players, staff, manager and board expect and we won’t rest until that is achieved. Arsène is the best person to help us make that happen…”
Yeah ok, mate.
In the official Arsenal.com story, it states that Wenger and Ivan Gazidis have been reviewing our ‘on and off the pitch activities’ and are hoping to identify areas for improvement to mount a title challenge…
Here’s a few I came up with:
- If players want to leave, let them go NOW (not in August)
- If players need replacing, replace them NOW (not in August)
- Ensure we have a full squad in time for EVERYONE to enjoy pre-season together, as a squad
- DO NOT wait until August the 30th to try and get players a little bit cheaper
- Ensure we have a fully fit, raring to go squad in good time, ahead of our first league fixture
- Stop losing
- Pick a captain who can be a proper captain, who will actually play – someone who has a pair of big balls and won’t take any nonsense on the pitch when it comes on top. Think Patrick Vieira or Tony Adams and not William Gallas or Cesc Fabregas.
- Stop being rubbish at midweek football, especially away from home, oh, and at home.
- Stop finishing below Spurs, once is too many times
- Make sure consistent rubbishness WILL NOT be tolerated next season (I’m talking to you Coquelin, Ramsey, Iwobi and Theo Walcott etc)
Anyway, Arsene reiterated his love for the club, and said:
“I am looking forward to the future with optimism and excitement. We are looking at what we do well and how we can be stronger everywhere, this is a strong group of players and with some additions we can be even more successful. We’re committed to mounting a sustained league challenge and that will be our focus this summer and next season…”
Yippee! Hard to work out why this wasn’t our focus this season, but there we go.